Header Image

Header Image

Sunday 24 November 2013

Thing 8 - RSS Feeds

There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want - Bill Watterson

Oh how quickly you can fall behind! I've been in a bit of a funk of late, both tired and bored of practically everything. I've had a much needed break from work (why can't it be a little longer?!) which involved a short, Internet unenabled stay in Dorset. That does mean that I've fallen further behind with my participation in 23 Things and, if I'm honest, I did consider abandoning it completely. However, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger* so whilst I'm about a fortnight behind, I'm ploughing on.

When it comes to technology I am my own worst enemy. I spend 7 hours a day in front of a computer, then come home and while away 2 or 3 more on an iPad. I need to enforce a technology ban or curfew and read more books (current bedtime reading is A Question of Identity by Susan Hill). I've always seen the orange RSS button on websites but never used it. Of the 5 options for feed readers listed in the 23 Things post, I opted for Feedly (free, easy to use, can sign in with a Google account). I set up 3 categories to organise feeds I subscribed to: News (which currently only hosts The Guardian), Gossip (Celebitchy) and Fun Stuff (which hosts a mix of beauty and food blogs).

I like having these feeds all in one place and organised by subject/interest. I can log in, read the posts that are new or else mark everything as read, and go about my business. I'm hopeful that using Feedly as a one-stop shop will stop me pinging around the Internet, and enable me to limit and focus my time spent online.


*just ask Kelly Clarkson, she knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment